Ticks are the most annoying creatures on the face of the Earth as they cause immense difficulties and problems to not only our pets but to us pet parents as well. Apart from being creepy and itchy, ticks are also capable of spreading tick-borne diseases. In this blog, we will delve into those tick-borne diseases so that pet parents can be well aware of them.
Tick-Borne Diseases Pet Parents Must Know About
There are numerous diseases that are caused just by a solitary tick bite. They have been listed down below.
- Babesiosis: Yellow dog tick and brown kennel tick are the two types of tick that are carriers of this particular disease. In this disease, the dog’s red blood cells are affected and it can spread from mother to puppy if not quickly adhered to. Moreover, this disease is likely to cause anemia due to loss of excess blood.
- Bartonellosis: This disease is spread by both ticks and fleas and can be transferred from animals to humans. So being extra careful is very much important. Besides, if the disease is left untreated, it can lead to liver or heart disease.
- Hepatozoonosis: It is a rare tick-borne disease that inflames certain body tissues and is close to impossible to treat. Besides, the signs that your dog may have this disease include: muscle loss, weight loss, eye discharge, blood diarrhea, fever, and poor body condition.
- Ehrlichiosis: Dogs that are affected with this disease develop flu-like symptoms and at the same time, might develop bleeding disorders. Some common issues related to this tick-borne disease are: joint pain, fatigue, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever.
- Mycoplasmosis: This bacterial disease is transmitted by both ticks and fleas. It weakens the immune system of the host and causes depression, weight loss, and fever.
Tips To Keep Your Dog Free Of Ticks
As you have read above, ticks can caused several tick-borne diseases; some of which can be quite fatal. Hence, it is imperative for pet parents to stay alert and protect their furry pals. Below are some invaluable tips that pet parents should follow in order to keep their canine friend free from perilous ticks.
- Gain knowledge about the peak tick seasons in your area.
- Before the tick season sets in, get your pooch on a tick preventative schedule.
- Keep your home and yard clean because a dirty area is like paradise for ticks.
- Opt for quality tick preventatives. Visit BudgetPetSupplies for cheap and quality tick treatments for dogs.
Ticks are a big nuisance no doubt, but staying calm and getting your buddy on a tick preventative schedule does not only guarantee safety but keeps your pal safe from the above-mentioned tick-borne disease. Stay safe and keep protecting your pal from ticks and various other parasites.