Need suit-up tips for men?
“A well tailored suit is to women what lingerie is to men.”
– H.M. Cole
If the names Barney Stinson and Harvey Specter don’t ring a bell then you’ve been hiding under a rock for the last decade. These two men, from the TV programs Suits or How I Met Your Mother, have been the poster boys for suits and have driven girls all around the world absolutely crazy with their impeccable, dapper suited-up styles. Here’s a list of 24 top suit-up tips for men that will make you look as good as these suited legends in no time.
- Opt for a fitted suit that shows off your physique – these are in fashion at the moment
- Make sure the suit isn’t so tight that it restricts movement
- The shoulder pads need to end at your shoulders
- The shoulder pads should not stick out at all
- There shouldn’t be a gap between the jacket lapel and your shirt collar.
- The jacket should extend to below your zip and rear
- Never button the bottom button of a suit jacket
- Suit pants shouldn’t be so long that they drag under your shoes
- The trousers should not be so short that your socks show while you’re standing
- Make sure the pants fit around your waist properly
- Make sure the pants aren’t too baggy or tight around your rear
Shirt & vest
- Always wear a button-up shirt
- Button your top shirt button
- Your shirt cuffs should not stretch over your hands
- Always add cufflinks to your shirt to class it up
- The vest should extend below your belt buckle
- Your tie should be the same width at your jacket lapel
- Thinner ties offer a modern look
- Your tie should be darker than your shirt
- Your tie should end just at or just before your belt
- Don’t make your tie knot too big or too small
Shoes, socks & belt
- The colour of your belt should preferably match the colour of your shoes
- Your socks should cover your legs (no one wants to see a patch of leg hair every time you sit down)
Don’t wear a belt if you’re wearing braces.
Rings… Does size matter to her? Find out here.