International Homeless Animals Day (IHAD) is celebrated on the third Saturday in August every year. International Society for Animal Rights (ISAR) established IHAD to raise awareness of pet overpopulation. Here are a few hard facts about homeless animals:
- Most of animals are in shelters because owners give them up or they’re taken in from the street.
- Only 1 out of every 10 dogs born find a forever home.
- According to Rescue Rehab SA, approximately 1 million dogs and cats are euthanized in South Africa every year.
- One female cat and her offspring can exponentially produce 370 000 cats in just seven years.
- One female dog and her offspring can exponentially produce 67 000 dogs in six years.
- By adopting from shelters, you are actually saving two lives: you’re saving your new adopted pet’s life and, at the same time, creating room in the shelter for another rescue animal.
South Africa is overflowing with dogs, cats, puppies and kittens. All our country needs is more people to love them. It’s sad to think that most dogs and cats in shelters will never experience a loving home and the security of a family they deserve. People should be encouraged to spray and neuter their pets as well as support animal shelters.