Struggling parents can apply for school fee exemptions in South Africa
The cost of living escalates year-on-year. As petrol, utility and food prices rise, paying school fees may seem like another heavy burden on your shoulders. In South Africa, our law allows any person who is experiencing huge financial crises to apply for an exemption from school fees.
If you are in dire need of help, it’s worth applying for assistance when it comes to paying for your children’s education.
Parents can apply to be exempted from school fees if they provide valid evidence to the School Governing Body (SGB) of their inability to pay school fees. However, if parents do not apply for exemption and fail to pay the fees, they will become legally liable for those fees as non-payment can create budget issues for the school.
How to apply for school fee exemptions:
- Complete one of the school fee exemption forms at your local school
- Send the completed form along with a letter asking for school fee exemption and a payslip or letter from your employer to the SGB
- If you are self-employed or unemployed, provide an affidavit explaining how you support your child
- The SGB has 30 days to respond to you by either accepting or rejecting your application
- If your application is rejected, you can appeal in writing to the Head of the Department of Education in your province within 30 days of being rejected
There are different types of exemptions that you can apply for, including:
If the school fees exceed 10% of the total annual family income, you can be fully exempt from paying school fees.
If the school fees are between 3.5% and 10% of your total annual family income, you can qualify for paying partial school fees.
Automatic exemptions are usually given to orphans in child-headed households or an orphanage, children with foster parents, children with parents receiving social grants and learners placed in the care of a family member or youth care centre.
If parents do not fall into any of the above categories but can provide evidence to prove they cannot pay the school fees, they can be exempt from paying schools fees. Conditional exemptions may also be granted for parents who qualify for partial exemption but cannot pay the reduced amount.
Know your rights. For more information on how school fee exemptions in South Africa works, read:0