Best markets in South Africa
Are you looking for the best markets in South Africa?
South Africans love markets! Over the last few years, food and craft markets have risen in popularity and the amount and quality of the goods sold at markets have also increased. Whether you’re looking for art, clothing, biltong, jams, vetkoek, koeksisters, clothing, vegetables, fruits, plants or toys, you will find that and more at a local market. And, it’s a great excuse to sit down, enjoy delicious treats and spend quality time with family and friends.
Even though there are so many markets happening all over South Africa, we’ve listed a few popular ones you can check out.
Markets in Johannesburg
- Market on Main in Maboneng. Open Sundays from 10am to 3pm.
- Bryanston Organic and Natural Market. Open Thursdays and Saturdays from 9am to 3pm.
- Fourways Farmers Market. Open Sundays from 9am to 4pm and Farmers Pop Up Café on Fridays from 3.30pm to 10.30pm.
- Jozi Real Food Market at Pirates Sports Club in Greenside. Open Saturdays from 8.30am to 1.30pm and Vegan Market on the first Sunday of the month from 9am to 3pm.
- Neighbourgoods Market in Braamfontein. Open Saturdays from 9am to 3pm.
Markets in Pretoria
- Cowhouse Market in Hazeldean. Open Saturdays and Sundays from 10am to 4pm.
- Market @ The Sheds in Pretoria Central. Open the last Saturday of every month from 11am to 6pm.
- Banting Market at Pretoria Botanical Gardens. Open the first Sunday of every month from 9am to 1pm.
- Pretoria Boeremark in Silverton. Open Saturdays from 5:30am to 9am.
- Deep Roots Night Market in Groenkloof.Open the first Friday of the month from 4pm to late.
Markets in Durban
- Golden Hours Family Market in Durban North. Open Sundays from 10am to 3.30pm.
- Karkloof Farmers’ Market in Howick. Open Saturdays from 7am to 11am.
- I Heart Market in Stamford Hill. Open the first Saturday of every month from 9am to 2pm.
- The Litchi Orchard Market in Salt Rock. Open the second Saturday of every month from 9am to 2pm and the last Friday of every month from 5pm to 9pm.
- The Night Market in Morningside. Open the first Friday of the month from 5pm to 9pm.
Markets in Cape Town
- Neighbourgoods Market in Woodstock. Open Saturdays from 9am to 2pm.
- Blue Bird Garage Food and Goods Market in Muizenberg. Open Fridays from 4pm to 10pm.
- Hout Bay Lions Craft Market in Hour Bay. Open Sundays from 10am to 4pm.
- Milnerton Flea Market in Paarden Island. Open Saturdays from 8am to 2pm and on Sundays from 8am to 3pm.
- Mojo Market in Sea Point. Open Monday to Wednesday from 10am to 8pm and from Thursday to Sunday from 10am to 11pm.
Share your favourite markets in South Africa with us!